Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day = Day of Service!

Memorial Day is a day to remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our country and those who daily lay their lives on the line to serve our country. Sooo, what better way to honor them than to perform an act of service ourselves? Saddleback did a day of service today and my friends and I were at Rancho Capistrano doing our part! There were over 700 people there this morning!! WOW! Projects ranged from landscaping and window washing to major paint projects. We helped in the tape & painting department. Here are some pictures from the day & of our handy work:

First, the beautiful Rancho Capistrano...

 Shaina and I taping away! We were working in the Sunday school classrooms, prepping them for paint. We taped inside the classroom & the guys taped the hallway. With so many volunteers, things got done really fast!
 Heidi taping like a pro!
 The final product -- before paint that is :o)
 I loved serving with you girls! {Thanks for being on camera duty guys -- next time we'll have to get you in the pics!}:o)


 It was a wonderful opportunity to bond with great friends and meet new people! I even saw some of my former students painting and digging away! It was awesome! I wish we could have done more! And THANK YOU to all the military men and women who serve our country with more than just a broom, or tape. You serve with your life. Those of us back home appreciate the sacrifices you and your families make every day!
Some final 'deep thought bloggage': Today was not only reflective of Memorial Day for me, it also reminded me of why I like to serve in the first place: It ALWAYS brings me closer to God and ALWAYS connects me closer to those I serve with. We may not have done much, we may not have changed the world, but one little corner of the world looks a little better today thanks to all those who came out & gave of their time and love. I truly believe that there are no small acts of service.  In fact, God keeps reminding me lately that life is not all about me and reminding me how good it feels to do something for HIM. My prayer is that I remember to wake up each day and live a life pleasing to Him. {I don’t know about you, but there are SO many temptations and things in this world that try to get in the way!!} But I do know that I am going to try to honor God with whatever it is I do.  Where is that taking me? I don’t know. Today, it was Rancho Capistrano. Tomorrow? I’ll let you know. ;o) 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...