Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Lies Your Mama Told You

OR "Part truths your mama told you." We've all done it, {haven't we?}  

Or is it just me and I'm a horrible mom for even suggesting this in which case stop reading now and read my Mother's Day post instead!

Those little lies to get us through the day with our child. To avoid the arguments. Or, when the whole truth and nothing but the truth might be too much for your kiddo to handle. WELL, here are just a few untruths I may {or may not} have told my children. And a few that my mom actually told me! ;o)


1. McDonald's is Closed on Wednesdays
This worked great when my children were little. KID: "Mom, let's go to McDonald's!" ME Random MOM: "Oooh, that sounds like a great idea!!! Wait, what day is it?" KID: "Wednesday." MOM: "Bummer! McDonald's is closed on Wednesdays! Maybe next time!" {This trick also works on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays. Just not usually in a row.}

 {Source}


2. Wait an hour after eating before you go in the pool or you might cramp up and DROWN
 Well, I have broken this rule many a time. {Sorry, mom.} And truth be told, it's an old wive's tale. Eating before swimming won't cause cramps. {At least that's what the internet says. Consult a real doctor for your own personal water needs. wink} But I still find myself saying this to my kids, although I've shortened the time to half an hour. Now that my kids are older, I'm just happy they are taking some time out of the pool to eat, period!! :)

{source}

3. Gay Means Happy
 Well, what can I say to this one? It IS true. However, when my mom told this definition to a friendly girl of 6, she went and told several students in her first grade class that they were gay. They replied, "YOU'RE gay." She said kindly back, "Thank you!"


4. Driving a Stick Shift is Just Like Dancing
 Um, what??? I used to dance, so I'm sure this explanation was used as a metaphor to help me learn how to drive my first stick shift. However,  I eventually took lessons and learned how to drive said stick shift and it's really NOT like dancing at all. Unless there is a dance called the "Stick Shift Cha Cha." -- "Right foot, Right Hand. Left foot sits tight. Now switch pedals. Down shift, that's right."

And the last "lie"...

5. The Largest Part of the Underwear is Always the Back 
 I really hope I don't have to explain this one to you. It's only sometimes true. But if you still need an explanation, go ask YOUR mom. 


Thanks for indulging me in this list! I'm sure there's more! 
Can you think of any "lies" YOUR mama told YOU?
 


Photobucket

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh my goodness you had my dying laughing here!! LOLOL!! Love you girl!

Janel said...

Love the McDonalds tip!! That is too funny! I wonder how long a mom can get away with that?? Thanks for the giggles!

Anonymous said...

ROFLOL!! I thought I was the only one that pulled the McDonald's is closed! It also worked on the fair, amusements parks and Walmart. ;)

Junky Vagabond said...

the largest part is always in the back - too funny!

The Bold Abode said...

Umm...hilarious. I'm going to have to try that whole "closed on Wedensdays" routine... but will it work on myself? I wonder. I'm so glad you stopped by from Janel's!

Unknown said...

Thanks Janel! I'm pretty sure that tip is good for the first few years or so. ;-)

Unknown said...

LOL - nice! I haven't tried it on anything other than food. Now that mine are older, I might have to use it on other things. ;-) Thanks so much for your comment! :)

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...