Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Splish Splash Blog Bash: Summer DIY

It's Day 3 of the Splish  Splash Blog Bash with Tattered and Inked!! Today's theme is a DIY or Recipe!! I chose a DIY project!

I have to be honest, since school/teaching just ended last week, I haven't had much time to work on projects. {Yet!} So, I thought I would share a project that I made last year, a couple months after I started blogging. I'm thinking most of you haven't seen these on my blog AND it's kind of BOTH a DIY and a recipe since you can't really make cake stands without a cake!  ;-)

Just in time for the 4th....

$4 Cake Stands and Star Cake

Seriously – these cost $4! I was planning a pool party for my boys, I needed cake stands and knew I wanted something I could also use for 4th of July, so I came up with this candlestick makeover cake stand:

DSC00706


Here is what you’ll need:
  • Candlesticks - Wood, glass or plaster work best.{Mine were a light wood/plaster}
  • Sandpaper
  • Primer
  • Spray paint in the color of your choice {I used Krylon Banner Red and Turquoise ~ I’m loving turquoise as a 4th of July color!}
  • Sealer/Poly to make the cake stand easier to wipe clean. Smile
  • PLATES {I found the plates first and then matched my paint color to them.} Target and Big Lots often have inexpensive plates. I bought my plates for $2.50 each @Target! {See pics of the plates at the bottom of this post.} Here's a pic of the supplies sans the paint and plates. {The spackle was to fill in the gaps from removing the design on the candlesticks; more on that later}:
257044_2194048011246_1248543366_32667005_4126792_o

Directions:

1. I was so lucky to find these candlesticks at a garage sale! (All 4 for $5! Add that to the cost of the plates, makes each cake stand cost about $4!!) Woot woot!

{Shaped by Grace}

Notice the grape/leaf design thingy on them? Yeah, I didn’t like it either. {At least not for my cake stand! I DID kind of like them sitting by my fireplace though!} Anyways, I spent an HOUR chipping those grapes off with my hammer and chisel, then sanding them down. NO ME GUSTA. I hope you can find nice smooth candlesticks ready to use! If you do, I still recommend a little sanding to prep them, it makes the paint adhere easier.

2. Depending on the finish, spray 1-2 coats of primer. Since these were already white, I only did one coat of spray primer.

3. I sanded a little bit again just to smooth things out and then sprayed on the color! 

4. 2-3 coats of spray paint. {Again, depending on the finish and color of your candlesticks.} I sprayed 3 coats on mine, letting each coat dry before spraying on the next coat. 

5. After the last coat of color is dry, spray on or paint on a sealer. This gives it the glossy look and also will protect it from water. {Please only hand wipe clean. These are not recommended for submersion or the dishwasher.} ;o)

6. As soon as all the paint is completely dry, time to glue on the plates! Here are your options: Hot glue, Gorilla Glue, super glue or Tacky Glue. {I used Tacky Glue.} The glue really depends on the material of the candlesticks and plates you are using. The Gorilla Glue was too industrial for me (it foams up, so using the right amount is key). A hot glue gun is usually my weapon of choice, but it was NOT permanently adhering to those candlesticks!! So, Tacky Glue it was! And, it actually worked quite well – it was easy to use, extremely durable and dries clear! {Follow your glue directions – I set something heavy on the plate to clamp down and help the glue dry tight. Then, let it sit for 24 hrs.}

7. Once your plates are secure and dry they are ready to use and enjoy

Tie a pretty bow around the base and you're done!

Here is the final product! {I'm loving the current trend of turquoise instead of the usual dark blue!}

DSC00705

Don’t forget to put a cake on top. ;o)



{For the how-to on that festive star cake, click here!}

If you make these candlesticks, I’d LOVE to see your final product! Attach a link in your comment below!! Happy {early} 4th of July!!

See what the other fab ladies are making on their blogs today!






<
 


Linking up at tatertots and jello!
Photobucket

7 comments:

Kelsey said...

I LOVE Your cake stands- I love that turquoise is good to use for the Fourth too :) That star cake looks amazing & yummy!!!!

Shabby Sweet Tea said...

What a thrifty little project! I love this! And it’s so nice that you made this post a tutorial.

Four Marrs and One Venus said...

So So Cute girl! What a great project for any and all occasions! Thank's for showing how you made it chick! Happy 4th to you !!

Kelly @ View Along the Way said...

Okay this is TOO cute. With that little tiny red bow around the middle too? KILLER. I love it!

PS - your blog is SO cute! Following you now!

Kelly said...

These are SO fab!! My MIL made me one out of an old pretty plate and candle stick she got at the goodwill and i LOVE it beyond belief!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Kelly! I am really enjoying reading your blog too!!!

Delightful Deets said...

Very cute! I now need to look at that cake post! :)

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...